Terumo Aortic and the WTS have partnered to bring a unique opportunity for one of our members to learn new surgical and endovascular cardiac/aortic techniques. This four-week program will provide funding for a single recipient to study with a renowned surgeon, and is open to fellows in their last year of training and mid-career cardiac surgeons. Applications will be available in late February with a decision announced by April 10, 2023 and presented WTS Reception at the AATS Annual Meeting in May.
The purpose of this fellowship is to allow a female thoracic surgeon to travel to another institution for the purpose of learning new surgical and endovascular cardiac/aortic techniques. The intention of this collaboration is to foster a new program focusing on aortic surgery, and encouraging advancement of female thoracic surgeons. One fellowship is available. The recipient will be awarded up to $11,500 that will be used to defray travel and living expenses, and to attend the AATS Annual Meeting in Los Angeles in May, 2023.
Application submission opens February 27 with a March 31, 2023 deadline.
To be eligible for an award, applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Must be at least during their final year of cardiothoracic surgery residency OR have completed formal training in cardiothoracic surgery and be eligible or certified by the appropriate Thoracic Surgery Board in the United States, or Canada, or international equivalent at the time of application
- Must have a current academic or hospital appointment at a US or Canadian institution or international equivalent for early or mid-career surgeons
- Must articulate their overall career focus plan, and their interest in open and endovascular and hybrid aortic surgery and how this award would help address their focus towards successful career advancement
- Available to attend the AATS Annual Meeting in Los Angeles May 6-9, 2023 (conflict with attendance will be considered)
- Must be WTS member upon acceptance of the award
Interested applicants should send the 4 documents noted below in pdf or word format via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Provide one .Zip File with all your documents. Letters of support must reference the name of the applicant. The email subject line should state: “WTS/Terumo Application”. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Deadline to apply for this fellowship is Midnight PDT, March 31, 2023. Applicants will be notified of the decision by April 10, 2023.
The following materials are required:
- Completed Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Narrative explaining how the recipient plans to utilize the award and the impact that it will create for their cardiac/aortic surgical career *
- Documentation from the chair of surgery, or equivalent administrative position, at the applicant’s hospital of financial support to cover participant and program-related related expenses not covered by the award
- Letter of support by the sponsoring institution with full contact information
- All applications will be subjected to a peer-review process overseen by the Women in Thoracic Surgery Scholarship Committee. Fellowship will provide up to $11,500 to the recipient for transportation and living expenses.
- Applications for the 2023 award will open in February.
- A written summary must be submitted within 30 days of the fellowship’s completion to WTS summarizing the educational experience and reviewing changes in practice on return to recipient’s home institution.
- Payments to recipients will be made in installments to be determined by WTS and dependent on recipient’s schedule.
- Final reimbursement will be dependent on completion of written summary noted above and return of receipts.
- Upon notification of receipt of the award, recipient will have one year to complete the fellowship. Grace period will be considered upon request.
- A woman faculty member is highly encouraged, but not required