Dr. Carolyn Elaine Reed passed peacefully on Nov. 16, 2012. Dr. Reed was the first woman chair of the American Board of Thoracic Surgery, past President of the Southern Thoracic Surgical Association, Treasurer of Women in Thoracic Surgery, and Executive Council Member and Treasurer of The Society of Thoracic Surgeons. A teacher, researcher, and leader, Dr. Reed was an amazing inspiration to cardiothoracic surgeons and trainees. She will be sorely missed. Click here to view Dr. Reed’s obituary. Click here to view the recent profile in the WTS Oracle Surgeons-of-Excellence column.
In honor of Dr. Reed’s innumerable contributions to our field, to the lives of our patients, and to the lives of all who knew her, please consider making a donation to the TSFRE/WTS Carolyn E. Reed Traveling Fellowship.
- Plan to attend the WTS Networking Reception on Sunday, May 5, 7-8 p.m., in Minneapolis! This reception will be held at the Hilton Minneapolis in Room Marquette VI. All are welcome to attend.
- The 4th Annual Women in Surgery Career Symposium will take place June 7-9, 2013 in San Francisco. Learn more and register today!
- View the latest issue of the Oracle
- WTS Interview with Carolyn Dresler, MD, MPA
- Read this essay from a female surgical trainee in Iraq who has set her aspirations on a career in CT surgery.
- WTS Interview with Yolonda Lorig Colson, MD
- WTS member Shanda Blackmon, MD recently interviewed Dr. Lillian Rachlin, whose surgical career spanned more than 40 years. [Watch Video Here]
- Encourage Colleagues, Institutions to Apply for WTS Associate or Benefactor Membership